Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Girl Meets Boy!

5 years ago today I went on my first date with a handsome, brown eyed boy. Landry and I met on a mission trip to Merida, Mexico in 2007. Someone from our team dropped out at the last minute and some guys on the trip called Landry to see if he wanted to take the open spot. He said yes of course because he loves to be spontaneous and is always up for a new adventure. Which now is one of the many things I love about him.
After a week of watching him be a servant to the Mayan people in the village where we were working and seeing how outgoing and friendly he was with the other members of our group I felt a feeling I had never truly felt before. I wanted to be around him all the time. Every night we went on a walk and no matter how tired I was from the long day of work I didn't want the night to end. I felt an instant connection with him.
On our plane ride home Landry passed me a note asking for my phone number. Yea, yea I know it is cheesy, but at the time it was the best thing ever. Then a couple days after we got home he called me and it was really hard to hide my excitement talking on the phone with him. At the time he lived in Alabama and I was at my parents house in Jackson, Tennessee about to go back to  college in Arkansas. He asked if I wanted to meet him in Nashville, Tennessee and hang out before I went back to school. Which is ironic looking back since this is the city we both moved to and where we lived the first 6 months of our marriage.

I can remember trying on what felt like hundreds of outfits and being so nervous on the 2 hour drive to meet him. He looked so cute when I saw him. Probably because I had only seen him in athletic shorts and t-shirts all week on the mission trip. He had planned the whole date which really impressed me. We went to eat at the Spaghetti Factory downtown and then walked around the Parthenon and fed the ducks and then he brought me to this hill that overlooks downtown. It was a great first date.

I am so thankful God crossed our paths on that mission trip.
I pray today that I never take for granted what a blessing he is in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment